Membership in the American Legion Auxiliary is limited to the grandmothers, mothers, sisters, wives, and direct and adopted female descendants of members of the American Legion, and to the grandmothers, mothers, sisters, wives, and direct and adopted female descendants of all men and women who were in the Armed Forces of the United States during any of the following periods and died in the line of duty during such service, or who, having received an Honorable Discharge, died after service. The periods of service are as follows:
|Gulf War/War on Terrorism||August 2, 1990, to present|
|Panama||December 20, 1989 – January 31, 1990|
|Lebanon and Grenada||August 24, 1982 – July 31, 1984|
|Vietnam War||February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975|
|Korean War||June 25, 1950 – January 31, 1955|
|WW II||December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946|
|WW I||April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918|
If you are interested in joining the country’s largest women’s patriotic organization, here is what you need to do:
- Print off and complete the American Legion Auxiliary Membership Application: English Version (pdf)or an application can be obtained at the Post 109 canteen.
- Obtain proof of your eligibility. Note: If the person who provides your eligibility is a member of the American Legion, eligibility documentation is likely not necessary; however, you do need to provide his or her American Legion member ID number and Post information on your application. A copy of his current card would be ideal.
- If the person who provides your eligibility is deceased, acceptable eligibility documents include:
- DD-214 Discharge Papers *
- Official Military Orders
- Official Military Service Citations/Awards
- Letters related to the veteran’s military service. Must be on official government letterhead
- Certificate from the VA records center in St. Louis
- Data from the back of older discharges
You may submit your completed application for membership at the Post Canteen. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact Membership Chairman Sharon Knecht at 410-227-0169 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your application has been accepted, Sharon will call you and you can submit your annual membership dues of $25.00 or $7.00 for a junior membership. We would love to have you join us!